Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
teevee

Musicians?

Day 2 for me, and I have band practice tonight which is a big trigger. I usually drink as well...I'm not going to drink tonight, I'm just going to act professional and get through it.

Anyone else here play? I play guitar in a rock band....no, you haven't heard of us. B)

Day 2 for me, and I have band practice tonight which is a big trigger. I usually drink as well...I'm not going to drink tonight, I'm just going to act professional and get through it.

Anyone else here play? I play guitar in a rock band....no, you haven't heard of us. B)

I cover some Floyd on guitar and vocals (Terrapin, Wot's Uh the Deal, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Fearless, Wish You Were Here, San Tropez, Hey You, Is There Anybody Out There?), and can mix in some Eagles. Wish I could offer more but I spend most of creative energies on novel-writing.

Ever notice how much better your singing voice is when you haven't dipped in a while???

CopeWithoutCope

I work with a couple musicians and bands and tour once in a while. Touring is the toughest on me because during the long trips it would be easy to go out and buy some Cope. But I vowed never to do that again, and I stay true to my word.

I play the alto sax, but I don't play in a band, just in my garage and a few occasions for friends and family. I have actually played with a dip in my mouth.

I play the alto sax, but I don't play in a band, just in my garage and a few occasions for friends and family. I have actually played with a dip in my mouth.

Now that takes some talent to do that! lol.

I play piano/keyboards mostly, and electric and acoustic bass. It's been years since really playing in a band..it's what happens when you get married and have kids. But over the last year, I've been getting re-involved with some dudes playing. Right now we are working on an acoustic type project that is really sounding good right now.. just taking our time and really having fun with it. Hopefully we should have some gigs by mid next year.

But as far as dip goes, it's been a wonderful experience to not have that crap in my lip while trying to do vocals or just play...I don't spill spit cups on my keyboard anymore!

OK...well, I know this isn't a place to pick up gigs, but.... lol

But, I can say...one thing that has helped me stay clean and dip free is being able to play music. I love playing, and it has had a more profound effect on me since I've quit this shit. I'm blessed and so glad I've been able to find a way to play my music and not worry about putting worm shit in my mouth to do it.

If there are other quitters out there that like to play....come on over here and share what you do!!! I would love to chat about playing some awesome tunes!!! God bless!

I actually started playing the guitar when I quit. It was something that I was always interested in, just never did. A guy at work kept encouraging me and then he brought one of his spare guitars to work for me to use on permanent loan. I must say that I am really enjoying it. I'm self teaching at the moment since most folks (even the local music store) suggested I look online to start instead of paying for lessons. They only other instrument I have played is sax back in high school, so it's been a while. I am always looking for advice from experienced players, so bring it on.

I actually started playing the guitar when I quit. It was something that I was always interested in, just never did. A guy at work kept encouraging me and then he brought one of his spare guitars to work for me to use on permanent loan. I must say that I am really enjoying it. I'm self teaching at the moment since most folks (even the local music store) suggested I look online to start instead of paying for lessons. They only other instrument I have played is sax back in high school, so it's been a while. I am always looking for advice from experienced players, so bring it on.

learn the chords D, A, and G. Get your fingers on the D chord, and strum that mutha fucka until it sounds just right. (a lot of times one finger will be blocking another, or won't be pushing down hard enough and it creates a shitty muffled sound.) Once you get D down. Switch to A. Then G. Then once you have all three, practice transitioning from one to the other. Work that until you can jump from on to the other seamlessly. Then you can start rocking out! This is how I taught myself back in high school. I come from years of piano, but fell in love with guitar in high school. And this last Christmas, my wife bought me a banjo. My new love!

learn the chords D, A, and G. Get your fingers on the D chord, and strum that mutha fucka until it sounds just right. (a lot of times one finger will be blocking another, or won't be pushing down hard enough and it creates a shitty muffled sound.) Once you get D down. Switch to A. Then G. Then once you have all three, practice transitioning from one to the other. Work that until you can jump from on to the other seamlessly. Then you can start rocking out! This is how I taught myself back in high school. I come from years of piano, but fell in love with guitar in high school. And this last Christmas, my wife bought me a banjo. My new love!

That's where I am now. I have learned E,A,D,G and C and I am working my ass off on the chord transitions. I have a tabs book for beginners that I like for the most part, but it is pissing me off to some extent. Some of this shit is pissing me off because I don't understand some of it, especially the musical side of it.

That's where I am now. I have learned E,A,D,G and C and I am working my ass off on the chord transitions. I have a tabs book for beginners that I like for the most part, but it is pissing me off to some extent. Some of this shit is pissing me off because I don't understand some of it, especially the musical side of it.
Are you coming at this with no prior music background? If so, you may want to find a YouTube video or some kind of online deal that goes over basic musical theory. All you need is the basics...you don't need any crazy named scales or seventh augmented minor chord type situations. Just a working knowledge of how that fretboard works and what those notes mean. Best way to learn music theory is on a piano...but it all translates. It's all the same.

Are you coming at this with no prior music background? If so, you may want to find a YouTube video or some kind of online deal that goes over basic musical theory. All you need is the basics...you don't need any crazy named scales or seventh augmented minor chord type situations. Just a working knowledge of how that fretboard works and what those notes mean. Best way to learn music theory is on a piano...but it all translates. It's all the same.

I do have some musical background but it has been a while(highschool sax player). I guess what's confusing me is the complexity of the fretboard and I'm letting it overwhelm me with possibilities. I probably need to spend more time concentrating on what actual notes/combinations I'm playing. I guess it's time for a quick crash course as a refresher. Thanks for the hints Queedle! This shit is definitely addictive!

I do have some musical background but it has been a while(highschool sax player). I guess what's confusing me is the complexity of the fretboard and I'm letting it overwhelm me with possibilities. I probably need to spend more time concentrating on what actual notes/combinations I'm playing. I guess it's time for a quick crash course as a refresher. Thanks for the hints Queedle! This shit is definitely addictive!

For sure!

Sure wish I could help on the guitar stuff..but I am a piano/keyboard player for the most part. I do occasionally play bass guitar, and some regular guitar, but I only play by ear, so there's not any reading music here...

But, I do have fun playing for sure...very therapeutic for sure :-)

Sure wish I could help on the guitar stuff..but I am a piano/keyboard player for the most part. I do occasionally play bass guitar, and some regular guitar, but I only play by ear, so there's not any reading music here...

Much respect on the keyboard/piano playing. My mother is a pianist/organist. I grew up watching her do everything from playing the organ in our church to accompanying the symphony orchestra in my home city. I tried it and I suuuuucked.

Yup - I play Ukulele. I know it sounds funny but there is a helluva lot more to the instrument than Don Ho and Tiny Tim. I mostly play Tenor Uke but plan on buying a Baritone soon.

I play piano / keyboards and try to sing. I can hack through most songs on guitar and bass too. Played drums in school band as well. My current piano repertoire consists of about 150 songs ranging from old timey gospel, on up through folk, classic rock and even some new pop stuff. My favorite song to play and sing is The Entertainer by Scott Joplin. I am getting a band together (but not quitting my day job,yet)! If you're in the Minneapolis area and wanna jam, contact me.

Edited by chill

I play guitar, uke, and some bass when it's foisted upon me. I've played for about 30 years, mostly classic rock, blues, and jazz - Eagles, AC/DC, ZZ Top, along with some obligatory Jimmy Buffet, Beatles, Robert Johnson, and a host of others. I also play some lesser known fingerstyle stuff like Tommy Emmanuel and Martin Taylor. One of my favorite songs of all time is Windy and Warm by Chet Atkins - but my version is closer to Tommy Emmanuel's. I would love to get together in a band and play for fun but there's not enough people around here serious enough about it to put in the time. Every once in a while a friend of mine and I will entertain friends around the pool after a BBQ. I love it - wish I had pursued music more seriously when I was 25 years younger! I love my instruments so much I decided to start making them. I've made a tenor uke and will be making a strat-like guitar early next year (it's cheaper to buy one...need to save my pennies). Right now I play an Epiphone Tommy Thayer Les Paul, a Dean Performer acoustic in Koa, and my home-built uke. Wish I lived closer Chill!

For an excellent course on guitar, including the ability to get some books of great songs, check out justinguitar.com. Guy's name is Justin Sandercoe. I'm using his stuff to teach my 9 year-old son. It's friggin amazing how quick kids can learn stuff. Wish I had had this course when I was learning.