Quit Smokeless Community
Sign in to follow this  
Flavius Victor

The Cafe - 2010

I am on day 26 and my biggest struggle right now seems to be concentrating for long periods of time and completing detailed tasks. It seems like I have avoided some of the severe symptoms that have plagued others but can't seem to regain the focus I had before. Good news is that my creativity has improved but I am accountant and creativity is not exactly valued very much in my profession.

There have been times in the past that I wondered if I had a little ADD but never talked to anyone about it. Now I am wondering if I was self medicating with nicotine for all those years.

Anyone else struggling with this symptom? Thoughts? Tips?

I am on day 26 and my biggest struggle right now seems to be concentrating for long periods of time and completing detailed tasks. It seems like I have avoided some of the severe symptoms that have plagued others but can't seem to regain the focus I had before. Good news is that my creativity has improved but I am accountant and creativity is not exactly valued very much in my profession.

There have been times in the past that I wondered if I had a little ADD but never talked to anyone about it. Now I am wondering if I was self medicating with nicotine for all those years.

Anyone else struggling with this symptom? Thoughts? Tips?

You are 100% normal. I asked myself the same thing about ADD, but in retrospect, I think our brains simply have to adjust. It will take some time, and you may be less effective for a while, but it will improve. Just keep reading and posting and holding yourself accountable. For an extreme example of what accountable means, see my post above.

632 - sm - Gotta tell on the addiction. Got up at 5, work at 6:30. Clusterfuck trying to keep the techinicians focused on calibrating every piece of diagnostic equipment in their bags. 1.5 hours and one aneurism later, we were done. Blocked off 2 hours to create new employee eval forms. Boring, time-eating, thankless work. Accomplished little in those 2 hours. Drove across town to pick up a new van being lettered, but the guy put the wrong website on the van. Ate up an hour of mine and my service manager's time (who, BTW, was walking death, unwilling to go home because he's used up all his sick days.) Ruined my plans for a quick AA mtg at noon, but no biggie, I'll just go back to the office and install my Quickbooks backup on my brand new computer. Oh, of course the backup is lost and I have to recreate everything from 3-30 onward. My accountant's phone-answering bitch, I suspect, screwed with me on purpose for 1.5 hours, keeping me from talking with him, because when I called there and she answered, "XYZ Accounting, I asked her who was speaking. She got snotty and I politely told her I'm used to businesspeople answering their phone and identifying themselves. Etiquette, you know. Anyhoo, she cockblocked me for an hour and a half, effectively stopping my progress and eating up time I could have had with family. The accountant said she should have interrupted him, as he was only talking with a staff member. (I pay this fat f**k $200 a month and this is the first time I've called him in 6 months). He said, "I'll talk with her." I said, I hope so, because I have a real problem with her. He's getting fired on Monday. So I agree to take the service manager's emergency service this weekend because he really is sick. We always have each others' backs. No calls until I take my kid out to a campground and walk a 1/4 mile back in the woods to a pond. I rush out of there (with horrible diarrhea knocking on the door, get home, flush the bowels, jump in the truck and try to get to this no-cool before sunset. Did I mention this is the first day I've brought a movie home for the whole family in I-don't-know-how-long? Evap coil is frozen and I can't help it until it thaws overnight, so I have to be there at 8 a.m. tomorrow. Rush home to see the movie before the kids have to go to bed. When I get there, the 8 yr-old is crying. He's about to take his shower, tells me his penis hurts, and when he shows it to me it looks like someone shoved a hunk of hot dog under his foreskin and painted it all red. So I want to cry. Mom, who has been freezing me out of bed for over a month, takes him to urgent care, which is of course closed by now, and since I have an HSA with $10,000 deductible, I have the pleasure of paying for an emergency room visit tonight.

This is the first time I've wanted a dip in a long time. The craving was brief and is now gone, but it was there. Buying a can of Copenhagen is the only thing I can do to make this day worse, and of course I don't want that. If you read this far, thanks. I'm posting this m**********r in the Cafe, too. ^_^ :) B)^_^

632 - sm - Gotta tell on the addiction. Got up at 5, work at 6:30. Clusterfuck trying to keep the techinicians focused on calibrating every piece of diagnostic equipment in their bags. 1.5 hours and one aneurism later, we were done. Blocked off 2 hours to create new employee eval forms. Boring, time-eating, thankless work. Accomplished little in those 2 hours. Drove across town to pick up a new van being lettered, but the guy put the wrong website on the van. Ate up an hour of mine and my service manager's time (who, BTW, was walking death, unwilling to go home because he's used up all his sick days.) Ruined my plans for a quick AA mtg at noon, but no biggie, I'll just go back to the office and install my Quickbooks backup on my brand new computer. Oh, of course the backup is lost and I have to recreate everything from 3-30 onward. My accountant's phone-answering bitch, I suspect, screwed with me on purpose for 1.5 hours, keeping me from talking with him, because when I called there and she answered, "XYZ Accounting, I asked her who was speaking. She got snotty and I politely told her I'm used to businesspeople answering their phone and identifying themselves. Etiquette, you know. Anyhoo, she cockblocked me for an hour and a half, effectively stopping my progress and eating up time I could have had with family. The accountant said she should have interrupted him, as he was only talking with a staff member. (I pay this fat f**k $200 a month and this is the first time I've called him in 6 months). He said, "I'll talk with her." I said, I hope so, because I have a real problem with her. He's getting fired on Monday. So I agree to take the service manager's emergency service this weekend because he really is sick. We always have each others' backs. No calls until I take my kid out to a campground and walk a 1/4 mile back in the woods to a pond. I rush out of there (with horrible diarrhea knocking on the door, get home, flush the bowels, jump in the truck and try to get to this no-cool before sunset. Did I mention this is the first day I've brought a movie home for the whole family in I-don't-know-how-long? Evap coil is frozen and I can't help it until it thaws overnight, so I have to be there at 8 a.m. tomorrow. Rush home to see the movie before the kids have to go to bed. When I get there, the 8 yr-old is crying. He's about to take his shower, tells me his penis hurts, and when he shows it to me it looks like someone shoved a hunk of hot dog under his foreskin and painted it all red. So I want to cry. Mom, who has been freezing me out of bed for over a month, takes him to urgent care, which is of course closed by now, and since I have an HSA with $10,000 deductible, I have the pleasure of paying for an emergency room visit tonight.

This is the first time I've wanted a dip in a long time. The craving was brief and is now gone, but it was there. Buying a can of Copenhagen is the only thing I can do to make this day worse, and of course I don't want that. If you read this far, thanks. I'm posting this m**********r in the Cafe, too. ^_^ :) B)^_^

That's quite that day right there SM. It's posting days like this that make us reflect on the problems we "thought" we had today. Your words in the past have been an inspiration to others. Stay strong!

Erik

Good thing you're wise enough to realize the pain of dad w/ dip would far outweigh the pain of Red Pecker Syndrome!

Grats to you for staying strong, and hope your ship rights itself soon.

This is the first time I've wanted a dip in a long time. The craving was brief and is now gone, but it was there. Buying a can of Copenhagen is the only thing I can do to make this day worse, and of course I don't want that. If you read this far, thanks. I'm posting this m**********r in the Cafe, too. B)^_^^_^^_^

Good thing you're wise enough to realize the pain of dad w/ dip would far outweigh the pain of Red Pecker Syndrome!

SM is my "Brother-from-another-Mother!" ^_^

This is the first time I've wanted a dip in a long time. The craving was brief and is now gone, but it was there. Buying a can of Copenhagen is the only thing I can do to make this day worse, and of course I don't want that. If you read this far, thanks. I'm posting this m**********r in the Cafe, too. B)^_^^_^^_^

Damn, that reads like some of my old posts... Give em hell!!!!!!!

Damn, that reads like some of my old posts... Give em hell!!!!!!!

Stay strong Brother, The nic-bitch will pick the absolute worst times in a guys life to come a knockin. Tell her to piss-off!! There will never be a situation bad enough that a dip will make better... Stay Strong Stay Quit!!!

Hello...Newbie here. I have been dipping Copenhagen for 20 years, I am 35. I read some of the letters from the main page and it was like i had wrote those same words. i wish to quit and have tried without success before. I wish I had never started this habit - you'd wonder how smart I am if I continued to do something that made me vomit the very first time I tried it.

Not making my wife out to be a nag, but she has been understanding during the 10 years of our marriage, reminding me ever so often that I need to quit and how I am going to die from cancer. I have often swayed from kissing her more often because I didnt want to waste my snuff by spitting it out and secondly knowing it gives me bad breath.

I have used 1 can every day for at least the last 10 years. I have other reasons to quit besides it being good for me, and will keep that one to myself, but I am sick of it and what it has done to me.

I have set a quit day of 09/15/2010 one month from yesterday as my official date. Because of of the extreme habit, I wish to run up to it and not cold turkey. I spend alot of time alone driving and out of 8 hours on the road actually spent 1 hour with snuff in my mouth, but went through 4 packs of gum. I am proud of that and it's a major victory in the greater war against the can.

*EDIT/ I have now read cold turkey is the way to go, no nicorette..nothing, nada...No trying to make excuses but cold turkey this week??? It's going to be rough as it is, without compounding the problem...Dont know what to do.

G

Edited by g28dman

Hello...Newbie here. I have been dipping Copenhagen for 20 years, I am 35. I read some of the letters from the main page and it was like i had wrote those same words. i wish to quit and have tried without success before. I wish I had never started this habit - you'd wonder how smart I am if I continued to do something that made me vomit the very first time I tried it.

Not making my wife out to be a nag, but she has been understanding during the 10 years of our marriage, reminding me ever so often that I need to quit and how I am going to die from cancer. I have often swayed from kissing her more often because I didnt want to waste my snuff by spitting it out and secondly knowing it gives me bad breath.

I have used 1 can every day for at least the last 10 years. I have other reasons to quit besides it being good for me, and will keep that one to myself, but I am sick of it and what it has done to me.

I have set a quit day of 09/15/2010 one month from yesterday as my official date. Because of of the extreme habit, I wish to run up to it and not cold turkey. I spend alot of time alone driving and out of 8 hours on the road actually spent 1 hour with snuff in my mouth, but went through 4 packs of gum. I am proud of that and it's a major victory in the greater war against the can.

*EDIT/ I have now read cold turkey is the way to go, no nicorette..nothing, nada...No trying to make excuses but cold turkey this week??? It's going to be rough as it is, without compounding the problem...Dont know what to do.

G

Welcome aboard g28dman.

I got some news for you...quitting is going to be rough and suck a lot, no matter how or when you quit. The nic bitch is playing with your head when you start playing the "I will quit next week" game. It really comes down to the mental fortitude to make that decision to quit. For some dumb ass reason I chose to quit the day before my new teaching job started. New school years always induce stress, but something clicked in my head that I had had enough and it had to stop....NOW! Once you decide to quit, we quit one day at a time. And for some early in their quit, you do it minute and hour at a time. Whatever it takes to keep the shit out of your mouth.

If you want to do any preparation, let the wife know what you are about to do. You will be in a fog and useless for a few days. Slowly the fog and irritability will lift as the nicotine is purged from the body.

So my suggestion to you is decide if you are tired of letting a 1.2 oz can control your life and then pitch it immediately. Be sure to also destroy all emergency tins...we all had them. Join your quit group (November '10) and get to know your quit brothers. They are all experiencing the same suck as you and it helps to support each other.

Good luck with your quit and be sure to post up how things are going. We are here to help if you are willing to take the first step.

G

Welcome aboard g28dman.

I got some news for you...quitting is going to be rough and suck a lot, no matter how or when you quit. The nic bitch is playing with your head when you start playing the "I will quit next week" game. It really comes down to the mental fortitude to make that decision to quit. For some dumb ass reason I chose to quit the day before my new teaching job started. New school years always induce stress, but something clicked in my head that I had had enough and it had to stop....NOW! Once you decide to quit, we quit one day at a time. And for some early in their quit, you do it minute and hour at a time. Whatever it takes to keep the shit out of your mouth.

If you want to do any preparation, let the wife know what you are about to do. You will be in a fog and useless for a few days. Slowly the fog and irritability will lift as the nicotine is purged from the body.

So my suggestion to you is decide if you are tired of letting a 1.2 oz can control your life and then pitch it immediately. Be sure to also destroy all emergency tins...we all had them. Join your quit group (November '10) and get to know your quit brothers. They are all experiencing the same suck as you and it helps to support each other.

Good luck with your quit and be sure to post up how things are going. We are here to help if you are willing to take the first step.

9/15/2010 has been set as an execution date. You will look for reasons and excuses for it to never get here. If you are awake on this late Monday night, take what you have in your craw out, take what you have left in the can and throw it over the backyard fence or flush it, and start day 1 tomorrow. Make tomorrow a watershed day in your life- the day you decided that you werent going to be owned by a can of turd bait. And read, see, and listen here. There are hundreds, if not thousands, who have been right there where you are right now. Dont torture yourself by setting a date a month from now. Quit today, and on 9/15, you are on Day 30, then you get the right to give other people here a rash of shit. Quit. Give me a reason not to, and I will leave you alone.

Edited by buccee

"Fight on, my men," says Sir Andrew Barton, "I am hurt, but I am not slain; I'll lay me down and bleed a while, And then I'll rise and fight again.

I have made this my main focus for over 40 years. It has served me well.

It is my gift to you my fellow quitters.

"Live Long and Prosper!"

- Truckerick

Edited by Truckerick

I'm Gonna' start a new Group!

"Tough Guys That Don't Chew"

Tired of the same ol'-sorry-ass Blah, Blah, Blah....?

Then..... Mount up, Enter... and Sign IN Please!

(here's your chance to "sound off like you got a pair!")

Truckerick - 1037 - "Eat Me!" B)

Edited by Truckerick

G

Welcome aboard g28dman.

Just my 2 cents: Nothing wrong with a quit date, but only you know whether you're BS-ing yourself. However you decide to quit, it will be your program. The only suggestion I ignored from these smart guys was that I set a quit date. I stuck to it, but apparently I am in the minority...

G

Welcome aboard g28dman.

Just my 2 cents: Nothing wrong with a quit date, but only you know whether you're BS-ing yourself. However you decide to quit, it will be your program. The only suggestion I ignored from these smart guys was that I set a quit date. I stuck to it, but apparently I am in the minority...

Yeah, I set a quit date too and am at 48 days quit after over 25 years of dipping cope (2-3 tins a day when I quit). It is contrary to the consensus wisdom of most on the site, but I really think you need to be completely mentally prepared and committed and accountable. A quit date that is well publicized to friends and loved ones seems like a pretty good idea to me.

G

Welcome aboard g28dman.

Yeah, I set a quit date too and am at 48 days quit after over 25 years of dipping cope (2-3 tins a day when I quit). It is contrary to the consensus wisdom of most on the site, but I really think you need to be completely mentally prepared and committed and accountable. A quit date that is well publicized to friends and loved ones seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Lots of people sign up decaring a future quit date and are never heard from again, don't be ne of those guys. If you are going to quit in month, spend the next 30 days cutting down on your habit, increase the length of time betwee dips, do some quitting over the next 30 days before the real quit.

If you just keep going full steam ahead for the next 30, you'll probably find another reason to push it back to Oct. 30th. Start the clock and start ticking off the suck and by Sept. 30th you'll be well on your way to freedom.

I've set 100's and 100's of quit dates and blew right by them, usually I didn't even realize it I just decided I didn't want to quit. One you realize you need to quit to dipping, diping is never as enjoyable as it once was.

Adam - 262

G

Welcome aboard g28dman.

Lots of people sign up decaring a future quit date and are never heard from again, don't be ne of those guys. If you are going to quit in month, spend the next 30 days cutting down on your habit, increase the length of time betwee dips, do some quitting over the next 30 days before the real quit.

If you just keep going full steam ahead for the next 30, you'll probably find another reason to push it back to Oct. 30th. Start the clock and start ticking off the suck and by Sept. 30th you'll be well on your way to freedom.

I've set 100's and 100's of quit dates and blew right by them, usually I didn't even realize it I just decided I didn't want to quit. One you realize you need to quit to dipping, diping is never as enjoyable as it once was.

Adam - 262

Well congrats first off on making the decision to quit and spending the time to find this website. I understand the fear of quitting cold turkey and wanting to set a quit date 30 days from now. I had done that for over 9 months. Everytime the date got closer I would find some reason to put it off, i.e. i hadn't cut back enough, had a rough day, etc. My suggestion and what has already been suggested is JUST DO IT and quit NOW. Yes it will suck, but it is also going to SUCK in 30 days. Why not just get the shit behind you. I am going on Day 8 and was initially planning on setting a quit date for TODAY, but decided a week ago to stop putting it off and just QUIT. It was/IS hard and it sucks, but man I am so glad I did not wait another week to quit. I am feeling good about the quit everyday. So glad I made the decision. Just get your ass on this website EVERY MORNING and read the post and the articles. Print off the CONTRACT on the home page and pull it out whenever you get the crave. Look at the pictures of the mouth cancer every morning and realize what your risking. Make a post it note to place on your dash board about the pros of quitting so everytime you get in your care you see it. I can't tell you how much better my car smells without that disqusting dip can smell. You can do it we are all here to support each other. We will be here when you need us! The best of luck to you man and let me know if I can do anything to help out! Glad your joining us!

G

Welcome aboard g28dman.

Adam - 262

Well congrats first off on making the decision to quit and spending the time to find this website. I understand the fear of quitting cold turkey and wanting to set a quit date 30 days from now. I had done that for over 9 months. Everytime the date got closer I would find some reason to put it off, i.e. i hadn't cut back enough, had a rough day, etc. My suggestion and what has already been suggested is JUST DO IT and quit NOW. Yes it will suck, but it is also going to SUCK in 30 days. Why not just get the shit behind you. I am going on Day 8 and was initially planning on setting a quit date for TODAY, but decided a week ago to stop putting it off and just QUIT. It was/IS hard and it sucks, but man I am so glad I did not wait another week to quit. I am feeling good about the quit everyday. So glad I made the decision. Just get your ass on this website EVERY MORNING and read the post and the articles. Print off the CONTRACT on the home page and pull it out whenever you get the crave. Look at the pictures of the mouth cancer every morning and realize what your risking. Make a post it note to place on your dash board about the pros of quitting so everytime you get in your care you see it. I can't tell you how much better my car smells without that disqusting dip can smell. You can do it we are all here to support each other. We will be here when you need us! The best of luck to you man and let me know if I can do anything to help out! Glad your joining us!

Very well said. To those in the first or second week, keep it up. To those lurkers out there, reading this with a brown burn patch in your mouth, grow a pair and get your ass in here. You got a network of thousands of people who may not know you, but know what youre going through, and they are willing to do what they can to get you to keep that poop out of your mouth. You have the potential to make a very smart decision today. One that will not be easy, but could very well be the smartest choice you have ever made.

Come on in.... the water's warm...... don't pay any attention to the yellow pigmentation (today's word) at Buccee's end of the pool.

Come on in.... the water's warm...... don't pay any attention to the yellow pigmentation (today's word) at Buccee's end of the pool.

Everyone pees in the pool. Truckerick does it from the diving board.

G

Welcome aboard g28dman.

Adam - 262

Very well said. To those in the first or second week, keep it up. To those lurkers out there, reading this with a brown burn patch in your mouth, grow a pair and get your ass in here. You got a network of thousands of people who may not know you, but know what youre going through, and they are willing to do what they can to get you to keep that poop out of your mouth. You have the potential to make a very smart decision today. One that will not be easy, but could very well be the smartest choice you have ever made.

Thanks everybody who replied...Yesterday I had a pinch in the early morning, then one right after lunch. That was yesterday right after noon, came back to my hotel room pulled up site and read a letter from Jenny Kern....I have not had a dip since then. I am sitting here now, just got in a phone fight with wifey, bored and want to go out and get the stuff that eases my nerves. Will power now...

Thanks everybody who replied...Yesterday I had a pinch in the early morning, then one right after lunch. That was yesterday right after noon, came back to my hotel room pulled up site and read a letter from Jenny Kern....I have not had a dip since then. I am sitting here now, just got in a phone fight with wifey, bored and want to go out and get the stuff that eases my nerves. Will power now...

Good stuff. Fight the fight at the worst time. The "spite dip" is real. Y'know that F-U dip. That "I'll show you" dip. Well, turn the tables and say "I'll show you" TO THE NIC BITCH. It is very empowering to win that first big trigger. The feeling you have is freedom and it does feel good! Fight on!